Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Good Night | Good Morning - My Perspective


Sudhish Kamath's 'Good Night | Good Morning' is interesting, not because of its story but because of its content. As Karan Johar rightly commented, it's a cerebral joyride. There are various types and reasons why a director makes movies. Some want to create awareness, some want to enthrall and enliven people. What is great about this movie is that it makes you think. It makes you relate yourself to either of the lead actors. There is a connect happening.

Sudhish pays a tribute to cinema as such for he's been criticizing them now and then. His movie speaks for himself. At the end of it, it says "See.. I'm not a movie which will linger in people's minds for decades but I'm something which will make you laugh and cry at the same time".

Technically, putting your money on a black and white conversation flick is not just a simple gamble, it takes hard nuts to crack to actually do it. I'm happy to see a lot of great film personalities associated and also that it has a 'Madras' connection.

I think this would more fit into home entertainment, say watching alone(which I did and I love doing that) or with friends and not something to be watched on the big screen because you would want to rewind and watch certain parts again just because of its glorius impact on you.

Cinematography and Background score have very few things to do but some shots and some scores are just brilliant.

The film has a lasting impact on you (also a global mark as to what Indians can do) and post watching this you will have a pleasantly disturbed few minutes (in which I sat down and wrote this). Watch it to experience a grateful tribute to Indian Cinema.

And I was even more surprised when I figured that one of the writers, Shilpa Rathnam, was my school (read. National Public School, Chennai) alumni and I used to see her during the assembly and of course here and there. Her father was one of the legendary stage artists of his time.

The content of the whole conversation give you a Deja vu feeling and every minute you relate to a real life incident. I like such movies.

Sudhish Kamath -Way to go and Shilpa Rathnam - Proud of you!



P.S. This isn't one my usual movie review posts so no rating but all I want to say is - Don't miss it!

No comments: